Depression and Halitosis

Im a 22 year old male and during the past 6 or 7 years my life started to fall apart all of a sudden, I always had no confidence ever since i can remember, i have the worst relationship with my parents whenever i feel sad or try to tell them any of my problems they just make fun of me, and then all of the people i have in my life started to walk away till this day, and now i have no friends, a family that couldn’t care less and everyone just takes me for granted like im a kid and some makes fun of me, im really trying hard to keep intouch with the few people i have but nobody ever replies back..nobody cares or wants to be a part of my life and i never did anything to anyone,my problem was just that i was always too friendly with everyone. and now I’m about to graduate from college soon which is also a horrible chapter in my daily life and i just lost all the hopes that i had before.. i cant find a job or any girl to like me or even just a friend because i hate myself and i look really young and what makes this even worse is that i’m suffering from halitosis and i can’t even get close to anyone , i lost interest in doing all of the activities and i’m always stuck in my room thinking my life is over and it haven’t even started yet, im still young and i don’t feel like i want to live this life anymore and i don’t want my life to end now.. i just don’t know what to do anymore…

A: I’m so sorry you’re feeling so miserable. The first thing to do is to get appointments with your doctor and dentist. It’s not normal to have chronic halitosis. Although it is usually caused by poor oral hygiene, it can also be a symptom of periodontal disease or other medical problems that may be contributing to your depression. Secondly, you are long overdue for a visit to a mental health counselor. If you could solve your problems by sitting in your room thinking about them, you would have done so by now. If your parents knew how to help, they would have done it already. It’s time you got some new information as well as some ongoing support for making some changes. A counselor can give you both.

You’re right. You are young. You are smart enough to make it through college so you’ve got brains on your side. You don’t want to waste your life, isolated in your room and going around and around and around in your head. So — please. Pick up the phone. Make those appointments with your doctor and dentist. And set up an intake interview with a counselor. You live in an area that has many qualified people. Just click on the “Find a Therapist” tab on our homepage or ask your doctor for a recommendation.

If you need further encouragement while you wait for the appointments, you can call the Boys and Girls Town Hotline at 800-448-3000 at any time of the day or night. Check out their website too.