Persistent depression for weeks

I have been feeling persistant depression for weeks now… I think I started to feel depressed when I saw a guy I like at work and I was afraid of those feelings and didn’t know how to deal with those feelings and I kind of denied them and it became depression. So, now I seem to be in a depressed state and can’t get out of it. I seem to feel lost about who I am because of this depression. It’s not like depression that comes and go. It’s like a persistent state of mind that is not normal. I think I tend to repeat myself a lot and can’t seem to be on the same page as others when they talk to me.. you know…and causes my behavior to be weird and not normal either.. I think I am still in denial of something, of some of my feelings and emotions but I don’t understand why I can’t get out of it?? Does anyone know? Could it be because feelings are not rational and have no reason, that’s why I can’t get out of it?? Do you know how I can get out of it? And do you know why I would deny what I feel for a guy I like?? I’m not very young though, I’m in my thirties..
Thanks.

A: I’m not convinced that your feelings are only about the guy at work. The fact that this seemed to start with your attraction to him may be a coincidence. You report that you are not only feeling depressed but also are experiencing confusion. I urge you to see your doctor for a complete medical checkup before you decide that this is all in your head. What looks like depression can be caused by such things as hypothyrodism, anemia, vitamin deficiencies, hypoglycemia, or an electrolyte imbalance. And that’s just for starters.

On the other hand, if your doctor says you are medically fine, then I think you should see a therapist for an evaluation. The experience with the guy may have triggered some old issue that feels too big or too painful to deal with. Or you may be right that the feelings scared you so much you ran for cover. If that’s the case, it’s important to figure out why and what you can do to help yourself out of it. You may need some medication to jumpstart your recovery and then some talk therapy to help you learn new ways to manage it when you get frightened by your emotions.

I just did an Internet search of mental health services in your city. Fortunately, there are many, many good agencies and qualified therapists to choose from. You could ask your doctor for some recommendations.

Please don’t let the weeks turn into months before you reach out for help. There’s no reason for you to live with this level of despair.