Depression from moving towns

Hi, i recently moved to a new town, at first i was up for the adventure because i had lived in the same town all my life,but when i got there and started school i started getting depressed, i miss every thing about my old town, one thing though, i dont miss the people as much, i just miss the routine, the walking around town, the malls, i dont know why but lately i find my self withdrawing from the world, i dont want to be around people as much, i find them irritating. I am always on the computer talking to new people , i would rather be online then go hang out with friends. I cry about nothing, ill just start crying in my room. Things i once enjoyed i dont anymore, such as basketball. I think i may have ADD , i took a online test on this website and scored 91 , i have a short attention span, i am super inmpatient with people, i have mood swings all the time, i get offended really easily, i find it really hard to concentrate on things, such as reading, and even when people are talking to me , I will be distracted in my head, thinking about other things, even when i am reading i will have to read the same line over and over because it just wont register in my head. I get restless legg all the time, and migranes, i cant sleep at night, i get to bed around 6am and have to wake up for school at 8am, when i get home i sleep, unless i have basketball. I listen to music to distract myself from people and the world. I am a very nice person, but inside i am depressed, i have zero self confidence so i find it hard to talk about this to anyone, i have trust issues also. I dont trust my mom i feel like she would just tell her friends about my problems, and then her friends would think badly of me… I also find it hard to seek professional help cause i dont want to be judged. I dont know what to do, please help, what do you think i should do?

A: It’s very, very difficult to move when you’re a teen. Please don’t be so hard on yourself for taking it hard. What you may be describing is an adjustment disorder with some features of depression. At this point, you’ve also developed some sleep disorders that aren’t helping the situation any. It’s all interrelated. But having a label or two isn’t going to help you much. It doesn’t make the very real feelings of distress go away.

I think you need some help making the transition to your new town so that you can enjoy your high school years. I’m sorry that you think mental health professionals are judgmental. By both training and our own temperaments, we tend to be very patient and understanding. I hope you’ll give it a chance. You may also need some medical intervention to help with the migraines and sleep.

I really, really hope that you will find the inner strength to reach out to a school counselor or your doctor or some other trusted adult to help you find the professionals you need. Please don’t give up on your mom either. If you can’t talk to her about the adjustment problems yet, at least ask her to help you with the sleep problems and headaches. In the meantime, if you need someone to talk to you can contact the counselors at the Boys and Girls Town Warmline. Counselors there are available 24/7 to talk to kids like you who are struggling. Their number is 800-448-3000.

You made an important first step by writing to us here at Psych Central. I hope you will take the next step and ask for the help you need and deserve.