Help me suicide

What are some drugs that I can take to kill myself that won’t hurt alot. My biggest fear is that I won’t succeed in killing myself and I will be worse off that I am now. An invalid or handcapped in some major way. I really don’t want to live life that way

A: Of course I’m not going to give you that information. You already know I wouldn’t do that. For a woman in her 40s to ask that question says to me that you are feeling truly desperate. I hope I can offer you a better solution.

First: Please get yourself to a doctor for a complete physical check-up. At your age, it’s not unusual for depression of this depth to have an undiagnosed or under-treated physical cause. You want to make sure that there isn’t some relatively simple cure for how you are feeling.

Then make sure you are getting enough uninterrupted sleep, that you are eating well, and that you are getting in at least a walk every day. The body needs to be in good shape to support the mind.

If you check out as medically healthy and you are doing what you can to take care of yourself and you’re still depressed, it’s then time for an evaluation by a mental health professional. Depression often responds well to a combination of talk therapy and sometimes some medication.

Meanwhile, you need some support. There are counselors available 24/7 at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Call 800-273-TALK or go to their website at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org any time that you are feeling less than okay. You don’t need to be desperate to call. It’s enough to feel down and lonely.

You made an important first step by contacting us here at Psych Central. Please take the next steps toward feeling better.