Nursing Student Worried About Being Mentally Ill

I am a nursing student who recently completed a module in mental health. After learning about quite a few disorders, i’ve convinced myself that there is something seriously wrong with my mind. I don’t know whether or not this is typical, but i would like to find out. sorry if this is a stupid inquiry and thank you for your time!

A. Your inquiry is not “stupid.” It is a common question. Some people take a course in psychology and begin to believe they are suffering from a mental illness.

You did not mention what specifically led you to believe that you might have a mental health disorder. If you would have included that information I may have been able to help you determine whether or not you have something to be concerned about.

As I mentioned above, it is very normal for people to believe there is something wrong with them after hearing descriptions of mental health disorders. You may not have a mental illness. Your reaction may be related to fear. You may be overreacting. For many people that is the case.

The only way to know with certainty if you have a diagnosable mental health disorder is to be evaluated by a mental health professional. If you are experiencing psychological symptoms that are negatively impacting your life, then I would advise you to schedule a psychiatric evaluation. Being evaluated may make you feel better. If you have no symptoms then you likely have nothing to be concerned about. If you have follow-up questions please don’t hesitate to write. Please take care.