I think I have a mood disorder

Hi im 17 …Which mood disorder do I have? I have these mood swings like I go be ok, good, really hyper good, sad, suicidal, crying, laughing all the time.as of now im in a good mood but last week I was horrible, like evrything will be ok mood..in april 09 I was diagnosed with depression and ptsd after being sent to the hospital for being suicidal.I self injure and I always feel like people hate me, like they’re mad at me..now im really good but I know that in a few hrs or something I would get really suicidal..a few months ago my counselor said that I have a mood disorder when she used the dsm iv tr book. Sometimes I feel like everything will be ok and good to I can’t stay in this world anymore I want out…i have moments were I can’t stop crying and I throw things and scream..i can’t sleep because my thoughts are everywhere..i feel guilty a lot I feel like I don’t belong in this world with everyone else.like I feel like im here but just watching everything around me.I might as well be invisible …

A: I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s up with you. All I can tell from your letter is that you are emotionally dysregulated. That means that you don’t feel like you can manage your own emotions. If I’m right, that should be one of the main things you deal with in your therapy.

What concerns me most about your letter is that you have a counselor but you still feel the need to write to us. That makes me worry that you are not talking as freely with your counselor as maybe you need to. If you aren’t getting anywhere in therapy, it may mean that you need to talk with your counselor about making some changes. Sometimes therapy has to take a new direction. Sometimes counselors call another therapist in on a case to help get unstuck. Sometimes a counselor has done as much as she or he can for a person and it’s time to refer the person on. And sometimes the counselor and client just aren’t a good match.

Please speak honestly with your counselor about all of this. Sorting out what to do next to help you might be just the topic that will help you move forward with your therapeutic work.