Vivid daydreams of extreme violence

So for the past week, I have been having these disturbing day dreams of extreme violence. It’s always the same: nameless faceless thugs attack my girlfriend, and I lose it! In my head I see them going after her and I scream the most frightening fear inducing scream, and I’m off! I tear into them like they’re nothing. In the day dreams I can lift these men like a carton of milk and smash them against cars, buildings, the hard asphalt. The entire time I am screaming; that anyone has the audacity to even think of touching her. I am fighting like a gorilla. Heavy armed punches. I even tear out a shoulder tendon with my teeth. They are beginning to really scare me and I am afraid of really hurting someone.
Typically I am quite benevolent, kind, and courteous. Occasionally I will get very upset and physically hit something but I have never acted out against another living thing. I just don’t want it to escalate to that level ever.

A: This sounds intense. It makes me wonder if on some level you are feeling like either your relationship or your girlfriend is being threatened. Could it be that it is in some way easier to worry about these images than to deal with the root cause? That’s just a first guess. I’d need to talk to you to really understand. Since these fantasies are so out of character, I do recommend that you see a counselor to help you sort out what is going on. A session or two may help you figure it out and give you peace of mind.