I had a kitten die about 5 months ago.  Since it was late at night my friend’s mom said to wrap him up and put him in the freezer until the next morning.  I did this but haven’t felt right about throwing him away or “getting rid of him”  I have a therapist and psychiatrist to talk to but i am embarrassed to ask them what to do, and also a little afraid.  I need advise on what to do.

A: Hello and thanks for your question:

You know, when I first read your question I wondered if you are really ready to say goodbye to your kitten. There are a lot of good reasons for not “getting rid” of pets, and some have to do with the practical ways of doing so, but some are emotional.

If you don’t want to throw him away, or dispose of him, get a nice box, decorate it, and then take him to a place where you can bury him and have a small service.  If we care about something, then we don’t “get rid” of them, or “get over” them, but we can work through things. You may even want to write him a note to put in the box. You also may want to consider doing it sooner rather than later, because winter will be upon us soon and the ground will be too hard.

There’s nothing wrong with not being able to say goodbye for awhile, but you probably need to start working on ways to tell your therapist. Hopefully she (or he) won’t think it strange, because, quite frankly, it’s not. We all grieve in different ways or times and therapists are trained to understand how hard it can be.

Start looking for a good burial place, write the note and find a box. Get ready to say goodbye and ask your therapist to help you do so. It will be good for both you and your kitten who needs a final resting place.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt