Scared for Myself and Everyone Around Me

This problem started two years ago, and has progressivly gotten worse. In the beggining I was just really sensitive to sound and light. every little sound would make me go into a rage. in the past year, it has gone from that to hallucinations and strange urges. a few examples would be : something in my head has told me to suffocate my daughter. it told me to drive into this deep ditch. recently I was driving and looked into my rear view mirrorr and saw a truck speeding up to me. I was at a stop sign. I blinked, and it was gone. My mood has started to get worse. The smallest sound will get to me. I have a 4 month old daughter. I’m 17. My father in the past 5 years has been showing some weird symptoms. He thinks he is jesus. to him, I’m an angel and my other sister is going to blow up the planet. He burned down his house not too long ago. I really think there is something wrong with me. I would appreciate an opinion on what this could be.

A. It is difficult to offer a diagnosis over the Internet. The most effective way to receive an accurate opinion is to be evaluated in person by a mental health professional.

Based on the limited information provided in your letter, my sense of the situation is that you may be experiencing psychotic symptoms. The fact that you’re hearing voices telling you to suffocate your daughter is extremely concerning. It is also concerning that the symptoms are becoming progressively worse. The voices have increased. They’re telling you to do harmful things. Your mood is shifting in an unhealthy direction. You are easily angered.

The other major concern is related to the father of the baby. He believes he is Jesus. He also believes you are an angel and fears that his sister is going to destroy the planet. You also mentioned that he has set fire to a house. There is a strong possibility that he is also experiencing symptoms of psychosis.

I strongly suggest that you and the baby’s father seek help immediately. You may not be able to convince the baby’s father to seek help, but at the very least, please find help for yourself. As I mentioned above, the fact that you are having thoughts about harming your child is very worrisome. The fear is that you will not be able to control the voices and you will carry out what they are telling you to do.

There are two ways that you could receive help by a mental health professional. One way is to go to the hospital and tell them about your voices. Describe to them what you have written in this letter. Tell them you recognize that this is a serious problem and you would like help immediately. The second way to receive help is to call your local community mental health center or local crisis team. You can find the number to your local mental health center in the White or Yellow Pages. Another way you can find a therapist is to search this directory.

I do not mean to alarm you but the fact that both you and the baby’s father are experiencing possible symptoms of psychosis, some of which involve voices telling you to harm the baby, is very troubling. This is a problem that requires immediate assistance, for your sake and for the sake of your daughter. Please let me know if you have any followup questions.