Was I Molested?

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

when my sister and i were young we were babysat by my parents friend and would stay overnight.  i was 6 my sister was 4 and she says she remembers being frightened not being able to find “buddy bear” and I.  she finally found us in bathtub in bathroom.  i remember being in steamy bathroom and being undressed to get in bath and my memory ends there.  as i type i feel like this is obvious because he was a grown man, but do you think i was molested.  My sister says we were in tub together, i dont remember. could she remember at 4?? we would then sleep in same bed as him at night under the covers.  the only reason i am typing is in nursing school i learned you can suppress memories and what not, but you think that happens to other people.  thanks for opinion.

A: Hello and thank you for your question:

I wish I could answer your question, but there are so many other questions that I would need to ask you to give you a fair reply.

The problem with suppressed memories is that often they aren’t real. We honestly have trouble recalling things from the time that we were 4 (or, in your case 6). There was a lot of press that came out many years ago about suppressed memories and often these memories were proven to be untrue.

However, that is not to say that what your sister remembers is false. I’m not saying that. What I would suggest is that you ask yourself this:  Do you have trouble in relationships now? Are you sexually active and do you think you have problems with sex?  How do you view men?

If you can say that you do have problems regarding intimacy or trust, you might want to seek help. Little kids sleeping with adults isn’t rare or unusual, and if you don’t remember being in the tub with the man, that may have been harmless or may not have occurred.

I am not dismissing your question, quite the opposite. If you feel you have been molested, please talk with a professional (not just a friend or colleague) but a therapist you would see on a professional basis and investigate this.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt