Do I Have Adult ADHD, Anxiety, Etc?

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

I thought the best would be to list out my problems and then post it here asking for your help.

1. Jumbled thinking and difficulty expressing thoughts or ideas
2. Verbal communication is not clear. I get stuck thinking about words while speaking.
3. Take a long time deciding when presented with options
4. I always have zillions of thoughts racing through my mind. Its like never ending/stopping.
5. Tend to say the first thought that comes to my mind.
6. I daydream or seems to be in another world and miss a part of a conversation.
7. I am unable to organize anything assigned to me and have difficulty finishing my projects.
8. I feel very tired although I have had a good night sleep. Have problems maintaining my interest in anything.
9. I have difficulty expressing my feelings to others.

A: Hello and thanks for your question:

You know, it’s really tough to diagnose a person without meeting them. You listed a number of things that could be anxiety or other mood disorder which would certainly make paying attention difficult.  Drugs and alcohol can do the same thing.

Here’s what I suggest: find a professional in your area who can actually diagnose you. Don’t rely on the Internet for this. It’s too important. If you do have ADHD, or anxiety, or even something else, they can get you some help. You can find one here at our link: PsychCentral Therapy Directory 

You can also read more about these disorders through PsychCentral Symptoms and Treatment

Get a professional to help you. It will be worth it.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt