MDMA Treatment for OCD and Depression?

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

I know it’s illegal, but why does MDMA give me relief from my racing, obsessive thoughts and provide a well being I never before in my life have felt?  Over the years I have taken other meds to try and control my depression and OCD, but it always ended the same way; too many side effects, weight gain, sexual disfunction, etc,.

I do realize there are side effects in using MDMA; but for myself, I use only two or three times a month, by myself at home and find that I have relief for weeks .  I feel myself to be a better a person, there is little to no anger and  I am finally able to focus on tasks at hand. I actually have seemed to of “let go” of certain obsessive behaviors that controlled my life for twenty or more years.  For the first time in my life I have been able to cultivate fullfilling and meaningful relationships because I don’t have the constant interference from “crazy thoughts”.  Why would I ever consider returning to a life of constant disruption and loneliness when there is way to be free? I risk alot to take MDMA, but know that I risk even more if I don’t!

A: Ecstasy, or MDMA (3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is a synthetic drug that is chemically similar to the stimulant methamphetamine and the hallucinogen mescaline. MDMA produces feelings of increased energy, euphoria, emotional warmth, and distortions in time perception and tactile experiences.  In other words, it’s a type of speed. 

OCD is an anxiety disorder that is driven by depressive thoughts. But MDMA will give you a false sense of confidence. You will think that you’re smarter, more accomplished, quicker and more capable than you really are.  The fact is, it is making you dumber over time because it is destroying brain cells.

While you may THINK that it is helping, you are permanently changing how your brain is working. In fact, you could alter it to the point that nothing will help, not even Ecstasy.  Research has demonstrated that after only 4 uses of the drugs, the damage is evident 6-7 years later. The brain cannot repair cells that have been destroyed.

There is evidence that not only does it damage the brain, but that MDMA can be addictive. You will find yourself using more and more over time with less and less benefit. A survey of adult and adolescent users showed that 43 percent of those who use it are addicted. Withdrawal from the drug causes symptoms that include fatigue, depression, and fatigue along with trouble concentrating.

MDMA can also be dangerous to overall health and possibly even deadly. It has many of the same effects as cocaine and amphetamines. Things like increased heart rate and blood pressure, muscle tension, nausea, faintness, chills and sweating are a few of the side effects to this drug. Your body can also lose control over regulating its temperature. That means that you could develop malignant hyperthermia, a rapid increase in body temperature that can result in liver, kidney, and cardiovascular system failure and death.

Other drugs that are chemically similar to MDMA, such as MDA (methylenedioxyamphetamine, the parent drug of MDMA) and PMA (paramethoxyamphetamine, associated with fatalities in the United States and Australia), are sometimes sold as Ecstasy. These drugs can destroy your nervous system (brain) or create additional health risks. There’s a reason that it’s illegal and it’s not just because the government wants to interfere with your fun.  There are legal medications that can help you.

Don’t assume that your dealer is giving you safe stuff, either.  Ecstasy tablets may be mixed with other drugs without you knowing it. He’s not exactly regulated to give you what he’s saying is in it.  MDMA can be cut with ephedrine, dextromethorphan, ketamine, caffeine, cocaine, and methamphetamine.  He will give you whatever brings him the greatest profit.  Believe me, he’s not your buddy.

If, after reading this, you still decide that it’s worth the risks, then I guess you’ve made your choice. I just hope you don’t have a heart attack or stroke at your young age. Those aren’t very fixable.

Dr. Diana Walcutt