How To Tell My Parents I Need Help?

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

For a year or two now, I have had this feeling of depression and I don’t know how to deal with it. Some days I am fine, others I am not. Some days when I am driving I just wish that someone would hit my car because I am tired of living this life.

Then when my two friends died in a car accident, I felt even worse about myself for thinking that. I have a problem with liking myself and I am starting to realize that I am losing interest in the things I love. I am pushing away the people I love.

Part of my depression stems from having a fatal illness. This genetic disease has a life expectancy about 40 years. To make this worse, my twin brother doesnt have this illness. I know I need help with my problems, I just dont know where to go. I want to ask my parents if they can send me to a therapist, I just know they wouldnt take me seriously. Because I put on this act for them to make them think I am happy. I just dont know how to tell them. I am starting to scare myself. Please help me. Thank you for your time.

A: Hello and thank you for your question:

One thing that comes to mind is that you can talk to a counselor on campus. All schools have counseling offices. If that doesn’t work, then you might do some research on professionals in your area at Psychology Today.

You have more than one burden that a therapist can help you with. You shouldn’t have to go through all of this with your feelings bottled up. It would be a terrible waste of your precious time. If you have one parent with whom you can share some of your feelings, sit them down and explain that you are depressed, need help, and can’t keep having these thoughts.

Thoughts of suicide are common, but there are ways that you can get the help that you need to handle things better. Medication and therapy can work wonders. 

You may be pretending that you are happy, but clearly you are not.  Find yourself some professional help, have your parents read this note and then take good care of yourself. You deserve more happiness than you are having right now.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt