Dreams End Before Defining Moment

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

Alright, so i have been having a very certain type of dream for a while. It is never exactly the same and happens only once every other week or so. I have a dream in which i meet a girl. We begin to hang out and talk a lot. We start to like each other and become boyfriend and girlfriend. We become intimate and want to have sex. Then, we take our clothes off. Finally, right before we get down to it, i wake up. I never dream about said girl again, and i am left wondering and thinking. This is becoming an issue because these women i meet in my dream life begin to occupy my thoughts in real life. I am wondering if there is any reason why these dreams keep occuring.

A: Hello and thank you for your question:

What you describe isn’t that rare of a dream. It’s a performance anxiety problem that may or may not have actually happened to you. These types of dreams show up in many forms, like not being prepared for a class, discovering that you’re naked in public, etc. Pretty common.

The dreams may be driven by self-esteem issues and the fear that you might not be accepted by a girl. You might want to talk with a professional about helping you to get past these dreams. They don’t mean anything other than the fact that you’re not sure of yourself. That can actually be helped by a good therapist.

Do yourself a favor; check out the professionals listed in your area at Psychology Today.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt