My Dog Was Hit By a Truck and Killed

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

My dog Oshe (Aww-She) died on 6-18-09. Tragically she was hit by a truck and died. I have two dogs, a German Shepard and her. The german shperard opened the door and they ran out, we live in the woods so we didn’tknow what happened to my little oshe, the sheppard came back minutes after she opened the door and left, but now my bichon. We found out yesterday she had died after getting hit by a car and we got her body and buried it, I have never cried so hard in my life.

You guys don’t understand, she was my life, she was a small and beautiful bichon frise and I loved her to pieces. Why did she have to go? How long will I feel this pain, it hurts way to bad. I had her since I was ten years old. She was only 5 and we got her when she was puppy. I am going through severe anxiety, stress, and depression. I can’t sleep or eat, I have only eaten about 5 things in the past 48 hours. How long will the pain stay?

A: Hello:

I am so very sorry for your pain. I do know what it’s like to lose a pet. I really do. I still cry when I lose animals. They become family and we love them dearly. We don’t hurt if we don’t love.

I can tell you that with time you will feel better. You will never get over her, she is going to be in your heart forever, but that’s a good thing. That means that she changed your life, just by being your buddy. Understand that grief takes time. It can take up to a year to recover.

Make a scrapbook. Write her a letter. Tell her how much you love her. Either bury the letter near her or burn it; she will know that you wrote it. Remember her with little things and she will be a wonderful memory forever. It’s going to be ok. Honest. I’ve been through this many times with my own buddies. It never gets easier, but it’s always worth it.

I hope this helps,

Dr. Diana Walcutt