A Dark Spot on the MRI of My Brain

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

Q: THE DARK SPOT I SAW, COULD IT BE SONETHING I SHOULD BE WERRIED. I’M SCARED THAT IT MIGHT BE REAL BAD…..WOULDN’T MINDED IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME EVERYTHING IS GOING TO WORK OUT…..THANK YOU VERY MUCH

A: Hello and thank you for your question:

I would have to ask, what has your doctor said about the MRI? Is he/she concerned and have they explained the MRI to you? One of the first things that you need to understand about MRIs is that they are very much like x-rays. Doctors look at both the dark and light spots on the brain to determine what, if anything is going on that’s unusual. We need both dark and light areas in our whole body for it to work properly.

You didn’t indicate why you had a MRI, but you need to call your physician and discuss your concerns with him/her.  It’s impossible to diagnose over the Internet, and you shouldn’t be worried until your doctor tells you that you have something to worry about. He’s not going to lie to you about something that’s a problem.

Please, call your doctor and ask him directly.

Best of luck,

Dr. Diana Walcutt