I’m 15 Years Old… Do I Have Depression?

By Diana L. Walcutt, Ph.D.

Q: I have been reading about depression and I think I may have some form of it and I was hoping you could give me some guidance as to whether I should talk to someone about it.

Im 15 years old and for the last 6 months I have gone through periods where I feel very sad and sort of lost in my life. I do well at school but I now cant stand it and get very stressed and anxious about school events and work but I cant find the motivation I used to have to try hard with my work.

I have a great group of friends but I often feel like I dont have any or that my friends dont like me or that I dont deserve friends like them.

Im getting tired of feeling sad and not enjoying things like I used to. I feel like I cant handle everything that is going on in my life.

My mum has depression and I have heard it runs in families. Is there something wrong with me?

A: My first guess is that there’s nothing “wrong” with you. You may have some form of depression that may require help. You may need to see a counselor, or even get some medication from a psychiatrist. I would certainly ask your mum to take you to find out. That doesn’t mean that there’s something “wrong” with you, only that you aren’t feeling as well as you could.

I do know that adolescence is a really tough time, and with each generation it seems to get harder. There are a lot of things you need to figure out in the next few years, such as “Who am I?” These are very normal feelings and fears, but it sounds like your anxiety is a little too high.

Please, ask your mum to find you some help. You don’t need to suffer through this alone.

Dr. Diana Walcutt