Cheap Therapy?

I need an alternative to therapy. I am really struggling in life. I am in an emotionally abusive relationship with my boyfriend that I cannot seem to get out of and have been cut off from all of my friends. I feel like I have no one to talk to, like I am totally alone. I am still living at home, and I feel useless and have a lot of weight on my chest. I really need to talk to someone.

However, therapy is out of the question because I simply cannot afford it. Is there some type of cheap therapy or an alternative to therapy that could be easier on my wallet?

A. Therapy is not always expensive and sometimes it’s free. Community mental health centers generally offer sliding scale or free counseling to some individuals. They base their fee on an individual’s income. If you make under a certain amount of money per year you may qualify for free counseling. Usually you can find a community mental health center in your area by searching through the phone book. If they cannot help you with treatment then they may be able to refer you to another agency that can help. You should look into this.

You might also want to call the local university. They may offer free or low-rate counseling services in your community.

Do you have health insurance? If so, call the number on the back of your insurance card. The customer service representative can tell you whether your plan offers mental health insurance and where and how much those services might be. They might also be able to help you find cheap counseling services. I hope this helps.