Overweight and Hating Herself

I am 16 about 5’4″ and I am over weight. I hate my body and I hate myself for letting myself get to where I am…I am not hugely over weight but I still hate how I look. My doctor said I need to lose 20 pounds by the time I am 17. My question for you is how can I lose weight. I am having so much trouble with it. I don’t understand why I won’t lose weight. I play soccer year round with practice 4 days a week (mon-thurs) for 2 hours and then games on the weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Soccer is the only sport I play. I work hard at practice and during games. I am constantly active. As for my eating habits, I hardly eat at all. And if I do it is usually only a small amount. My parents recently have put me on birth control and not for the birth control but to help with my period. I looked up what I am on (Sprintec) and it says that it can cause weight gain. Can it prevent me from losing weight too? Oh, I have been holding steady at this weight for about…3 years with not much flex in up or down. Can you help me please?

A: It doesn’t make sense that you can’t lose weight with the amount you eat and exercise. I’m impressed that your weight has been steady for three years. You are right to be taking charge of this situation to figure it out. Your doc may have an unrealistic idea of what someone with your body type should weigh. You might have an unrealistic idea of your own habits. I don’t know what is going on but I do know this: Hating yourself won’t help but action might.

Here goes with a plan:
First, keep a journal for the next two weeks of every single thing you eat and drink and all your activities.

Weigh yourself before you start the journal, at the end of week 1 and the end of week 2 and record these weights in the journal. Do not get on the scale any other times.

Make another appointment with your doctor and show him or her the journal to get an analysis of what you’re doing right and wrong.

If the journal shows that you are doing everything right, your doctor may look into other reasons why you are overweight. There are a number of medical reasons that a person will hold onto fat even while living a healthy lifestyle. If that’s the case, you’ll want to know so you can get good treatment. If you aren’t eating as healthy as you think you are, your doc may give you a referral to a nutritionist for some help. The nutritionist will show you how to make better food choices. It may also be a combination. You may have a medical problem that needs attention and at the same time need to shift some of your eating habits.

You and your doctor need to be a team. Keeping the journal will give you important information about yourself. Giving your doctor that information is likely to result in better care.