Son Having Delusions

Q. My son believes people know something on him but will not tell him. He thinks of colors and then when he goes somewhere all the people are wearing those colors. He got good results on a doctor report but he thinks someone called and had his test changed to be this way. He says people are calling the tv station and radio station and are telling him things thru the tv&radio. When he goes somewhere he says people read his mind . He thinks someone comes in his house while he is sleeping and putting blue plastic on his teeth. My granddaughter put a smiley face on his shirt but when he woke up the next morning he says someone broke into his house and put it on his leg.

A. I am not clear about what your specific question is regarding your son’s symptoms so I can only offer a general answer. The symptoms you have described seem to be signs of an impending psychosis. Your son is expressing paranoia, delusions and hallucinations. The secrets he feels that others are hiding from him, his suspicion of the doctor, his belief that people are calling television and radio stations and sending him messages, the bizarre belief that blue plastic is being applied to his teeth while he is sleeping, as well as the other symptoms you mentioned, are all signs of psychosis.

It is extremely important that you watch over your son to ensure that he does not harm himself and lash out at another person. People experiencing psychosis do not always mean to hurt themselves or another person but it can and sometimes does happen. Because they are not thinking logically and are experiencing a break from reality, they may do something that is dangerous to themselves or others by accident or in response to the psychotic thought.

For instance, a person who is psychotic might believe that their neighbor is watching them and planning to hurt them. In response to the belief that they are going to be attacked, the psychotic individual “logically,” in their mind, starts sleeping with a knife under their pillow to protect themselves from their neighbor who is planning the attack. He or she might even attack the neighbor first as a way to defend themselves from the neighbor. Because psychotic individuals often come to erroneous conclusions because their thinking is jumbled and unclear, it is important that you and your family keep a careful watch over your son.

You should strongly consider taking your son to the hospital immediately. Generally, the psychosis only grows worse and can only be helped through the intervention of psychiatric emergency services and medication. I highly recommend that you get your son help without delay.