Should I Get Help?

Q. Well, i just became a member today maybe because i’m finally willing to admit that i have a problem. I attempted suicide a year ago..and went to one of those hospital things..they put me on some anti-depressants which seemed to be helping for the most part, but the first big ‘main’ function i went to after i was back home i had a seizure like experience..went to the hospital and pretty much they saw it as a reaction to a certain med..so i ceased that medication but these attacks still came, my eyes would be bloodshot..and i was always trembling. I dont have them near as often..but lately i’ve been under a lot of stress as usual, and i’m shaky and if i get too upset i’ll end up having i guess a anxiety attack? i think that maybe it’s my bodys new way of trying to relieve all this tension and stress thats built up..but it’s weird how i never experienced anything until after all that..whyyy? I’m not on any current medications..but i think that maybe it would be beneficial. I know I’m depressed and apparently i have anxiety..and i’m always confused i never know what to do next. i’m living in an unhappy situation and dont really know how to get out of it because everything else seems sad as well. I think i need to go see a therapist of some sort..but i’m so tired of telling my life story over and over. what should i do.. ]=

A. Having to tell your story over is a minor inconvenience compared to the daily and seemingly endless psychological distress that you are experiencing because of depression and anxiety. Aren’t you tired of living with depression for years? Aren’t you tired of having to feel tremendous amounts of stress and tension on a daily basis, so much so that it builds to the point where an anxiety attack occurs? You are suffering needlessly by not seeking treatment.

You should absolutely seek help. Counseling could be extremely beneficial to you. A good therapist could change your life. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying counseling. You need to find a way to reduce your anxiety and learn alternative ways to handle stress. There are better ways to handle stress that you may not be aware of and a therapist can teach you new and better skills. That is their job. The first step is deciding that you need and deserve help. Stop hesitating and get help to get your life back, a life free of depression and anxiety.