How Do I Tell My Parents I Get Depressed?

Q. What do I do? I suffer from insomnia, ocd, schizophrenia, family issues, anxiety, depression and traumatic stress disorders. When I do sleep I have violent nightmares about my past. I can control myself so the fear is increased and its usually about my dad beating me or something like that…I’m telling you this because I’ve been trying to get stronger because I hate myself and I’m ashamed of myself. I’ve been trying to get stronger in believing in myself and not always hiding in the shadows and trying not to get attention. I was doing really well and stopped thinking about cutting and suicide…now I’m back where I was (this falling happened over 2 weeks) and it feels like the darkness is killing me inside me, dragging me down…I’m wondering…why is this happening? Is it one of my stupid disorders that don’t seem to go away or just depression? Why cant I be happy and get strong? Am I condemned to live this way forever till I finally die? What should I do? The depression and the schizophrenia is ruining my life and condemning me to an eternal hell…what should I do?

A. You should go directly to your parents and tell them exactly what you wrote in your letter. There is no better way to communicate with them than to be direct, sincere and honest. Share with them your experiences with violent nightmares. Tell them that you feel that “darkness is killing” you. They may not be aware of how much you are suffering and they need to know, so they can assist you into treatment.

If you feel that talking with them directly is too difficult then you can write them a letter. Some people communicate better through writing. The letter you wrote to me was very straight forward and direct. Consider printing this letter with my response and giving it to them. It may help them to begin to understand how you have been feeling. Please take care.