Psych Central

Why is my wife living in the past?

Q: From India: My wife was treated for 1-Yr for Adjustment disorder by a professional psychiatrist. She become normal after the treatment. The root cause of the problem was the situation at my home among me, my wife and my mother and some others like brothers etc. When I was married to her frequent clashes between my mother and wife came into existence and the situation degraded day by day until one day my wife left my house when she was pregnant, but very next day returned home with her Pa. Now 5 years have been passed since then and she is quite healthy now after the treatment. To my surprise what happened last day she abruptly slipped into the past time. She is eating food talking to me but unable to recognize her 5 yr old son, can’t recognize the home we are living in now. But she is living in past, exactly the day when she left my home. If you ask what is date then sh’ll reply the date in 2003. She herself speaks the things she said or might have said in the past on that day. For remaining in this state for 3-9 hrs she becomes unconscious and then comes again to recent time.

I am haunted by this, as I fear what if she doesn’t come in recent time. How this can be treated and whom to contact a Psychiatrist ? Psychologist ? Neurologist ? Hypnotherapist ?
Please do reply I am broken now. I want her back fit and healthy.

A: I’m sure this is very alarming. Please do not hesitate another day. You need to take your wife to a psychiatrist for an evaluation immediately. The behavior you are reporting is not an indication that the adjustment disorder has returned. This is something new. The loss of consciousness and memory especially concern me. Without talking to her, I cannot make an informed judgment about what is happening to her. I only know that it is serious and she needs professional attention. If the psychiatrist thinks the problem is neurological, he or she will make a referral.

I wish her well.