Depressed and Suicidal

Q: From a teen in the Phillipines: And I’ve been dealing with this for a year now, and its driving me nuts. I feel so uncomfortable,Isolated,Hopeless,Sad, and my mood is been changing recently and I’m having thoughts of suicide, like overdosing myself and slitting my wrist sometimes i feel so down that sometimes i say to myself that i want to die i don’t want to live anymore. I thought its was nothing but ever since i feel so confuse, depressed and i hated myself and i’ve been wanting to die i realized their something wrong with me, I haven’t told my family or my friends because i’m scared that they will laugh at me and say that i’m insane and i’m only making this up but i’m really in pain and i don’t know why i hate myself and i’m feel so alone and lonely. I just sometimes pretend that nothing is happening but it just getting more worse. I haven’t gone to a doctor cause they might ask about my parents and i don’t want that to happened what should i do i know i need a help even before i do something really bad to myself.

A: You are a very smart kid. You know exactly what you need. Writing me is an important first step. Now let’s get you some help.

The feelings you describe are consistent with a diagnosis of major depression. The bad news is how bad depression feels. The good news is that there are effective treatments that can get you back to being a normal teen.

You need your parents’ love and support if at all possible. You are not insane. This is not a joke. Depression hurts. As hard as it may be for them to acknowledge your pain, I’m sure they would much rather deal with a psychologist than a funeral director. If you can’t bring yourself to talk with them directly, perhaps you can show them this letter. If you love them, spare them the pain of losing you and let them help you.

Your family doctor is a good place to start. You need to be checked out medically to make sure that your feelings aren’t a result of a medical problem. If you are fine physically, then your doctor can help your family find a therapist who is experienced with adolescent depression.

Meanwhile, I hope it helps you to know that you are certainly not alone in your feelings. The Suicide Prevention Lifeline (at 1-800-273-TALK) was set up to help the millions of people who experience a period of depression at some point in their lives. There are counselors available 24/7 to talk with you and to help you find local resources. Their website is www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Please don’t hesitate. Contact them whenever you are lonely or scared or thinking about dying. They are there to help.