Can’t Move on After Son’s Suicide

Q. MY ONLY SON COMMITTED SUICIDEMY SON: MY SON HUNG HIMSELF 2 YEARS AGO AND I WAS HOSPITALISED 3 OR 4 TIMES. I WAS PUT ON SEVERAL DIFFERANT KINDS OF MEDICINES AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS WHICH DID NOT WORK. I TOOK THE QUIZ TEST O THIS SITE AND GOT A 87. I WAS PUT ON CYMBALTA ABOUT 8 MONTHS AGO AND IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME, SO NOW THEY PUT ME ON PRISTIQ 2 WEEKS AGO I HOPE IT WORKS BECAUSE I AM RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS.THERE HAS NOT BEEN ONE DAY SINCE MY SONS DEATH THAT I HAVE NOT TALKED TO HIM AND WISH I COULD TRADE HIM PLACES. PLEAS ADVISE ON WHAT I CAN DO.

A. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I cannot even begin to imagine what this experience has been like for you and your family.

I would strongly suggest that you try therapy. You have tried medications and they have not worked. Medications may help you if you find the right one but at some point, it would be helpful if you talked with a trained professional who can help you heal from this overwhelming event. A depression or grief and loss group may be helpful also.

You said that you talk with your son daily. It is good that you can connect with your son but it is not healthy for you to live every day in misery. You need to try to find a way to maintain the connection with your son and honor his time on earth without feeling the heavy burden of daily guilt, grief and despair. Therapy can help you immensely with this process.