How Do I Ask for Help

Q:I’m a high school senior, i’ve been struggling with depression for a couple of years now but recently my depression has gotten worse, i’ve started cutting and my grades in school is dropping i’ve dropped from an A student to a D student, I know that I need help but I don’t know how to ask for it. I’ve tried telling my mom that I need help but I don’t think I can do it.

A: You are already asking for help by your behavior. When an A student drops to Ds and starts doing things like cutting, it is generally a signal to herself and those around her that she’s in trouble. Unfortunately, people around you aren’t able to understand (or don’t want to believe it). I’m afraid you’ll have to be more direct. You could show your mom your letter and my reply or you could ask her if you can make an appointment with your doctor. Your doctor can refer you to a mental health professional. You could also talk to an adult you trust, either as practice for telling your mom or because that person could then help you talk with your mother.

I do encourage you to gather up your courage and get yourself to a therapist. When people who need help put off getting that help, the problem can get more difficult. Not only do you have the original problem but you also then have to deal with all the stress that can build up because you aren’t dealing with it.