Q. I was thriving and doing well counseling myself with a diagnosis of DID from a previous counselor; I’m currently trying some reparenting techniques, as well as exercises for co-consciousness and some imaging suggestions I received from friends with DID I met through the internet.

My therapist told me today that she does not think I have DID, has not for months, and even if I had DID that it would simply be severe borderline personality disorder. I’m not arguing that I don’t have some borderline traits, but if I do I’m pretty sure if I do it’s co-morbid with the DID.

I feel very hurt that she would pretend to believe my diagnosis of DID and then treat me condescendingly when she told me. She almost made me feel like a “bad” person for developing BPD (is that something you even choose to develop?), and it feels like she thinks anything I do is because of that — including a very real physical disability that is now apparently faked because I want attention? My friends know there’s nothing further from the truth!

What should I do in therapy? I really don’t want to go back — I feel like that trust is completely gone (again; we have a rocky past in only 6-7 months total!), but I don’t have any other options for another year. I’m not really sure I need therapy anymore, actually, because aside from minor eating issues I’m really doing fine. Also, are all “real” counselors like this? Do they all believe that DID is severe BPD, and do they all stereotype patients with BPD?

A. I am not sure if therapists are prejudiced against those with borderline personality disorder (BPD) or if they believe that dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a severe form of BPD. There are some who believe that therapists do stigmatize against those with BPD. In fact, Psych Central just recently published an article discussing this very subject.

What is important for you in this situation is to assess whether your therapist is right for you. If the two of you argue, you do not trust her and you feel that she is not helping you get better then you should strongly consider finding another therapist. The idea of therapy is to feel that you are getting help. You should feel better after you leave therapy, not worse. If the latter is the case then it may be time to move on and find a therapist you like and trust.