My depression is depressing me.

I was diagnosed with depression about 15 years ago. I was on Prozac for many years which made the biggest improvement. Since then, I have been on a number of different drugs. I have been on Lexapro, 30 mg. for over a year now and it is not working. I saw my dr. last week and he is supposed to be checking into something additional for anxiety. I am so tired of being depressed, so tired of being tired, so tired of feeling grumpy and would like to know what it is to laugh and smile again. Could my depression be resistant? What other options are out there? This is causing problems in my marriage…my husband does not understand how my lack of being able to handle stress effects me..

A: Of course it effects you. Depression clouds everything. I’m glad you are looking for answers. You didn’t mention if you are getting some therapy. If not, I strongly urge you to do so. The best treatment for depression is a combination of medication and talk therapy, especially cognitive-behavioral therapy. To learn more about how this can help you, I suggest you get a copy of David Burns book: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Burns explains how depression works and teaches some exercises you can do on your own to support your therapy.

I hope you also are looking after yourself medically. If you haven’t had a physical checkup in awhile, do make an appointment with your doctor. There are many medical problems that can show up as a depression. Mreanwhile, eat right, regulate how much and when you sleep, and get some exercise. Try to do at least a little of these things every day, even if you don’t feel like it. (If you wait until you feel like it to take care of yourself, you probably won’t.)

Defeating depression takes effort. Your husband can be helpful by doing things like reading Burns’ book so he understands, taking walks with you, and going with you to see your psychiatrist so that he can learn how to be supportive.