Do I Have DID?

Q. I was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression at age 17. At age 20 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder rapid cycling. I never understood this diagnosis and really just took the medications prescribed to me. I have done extensive research and have come to understand it better. I have no doubt that this diagnosis is correct. I argued recently with a counselor that i think i have borderline personality disorder in addition to bipolar disorder. She told me that it doesn’t matter what is down on paper because the medications, treatments, as well as the symptoms are the exact same. then she looked at me and said my charts say i have a personality disorder. when this took place i was in a mental health facility because i had literally made myself have an episode from obsessing about this. I just looked up dissociative Identity disorder And Now i think i may have that as well.

I am just confused. When i was younger, age 17, I got into an argument with my mother and stepfather and i was so angry and apparently did some things that they kicked me out. my mother still brings it up, I have been apologizing for this incident for 7 years now, but i remember it happening, but not what i said or what i did. This is not the only incident that this has happened. it has happened in the past with my husband. Because this to me sounds a bit like dissociative identity disorder? could i be right or do a lot of other people suffering with a mental illness go through the same thing?

A. You did not mention exactly what occurred during this episode and because of this it is difficult to render a judgment as to whether the incident could be related to or qualifies as a symptom of dissociative identity disorder (DID). With regard to not remembering the incident, simply not being able to recall one incident does not necessarily make it a symptom of the disorder.

There could be other explanations for why you do not remember the incident. Anger could be one explanation. There are some people who become so angry that they black out and are not able to remember what has happened. Again, you did not describe the nature of the incident so all I can do is speculate and speculation allows no degree of accuracy.

I am not sure what happened to you. You did not mention any other symptom that would indicate that you have DID and one incident of a lapse in memory is in no way indicative of DID. This is not to say that you do not have the disorder; I could never know this from one short letter. But nothing else you mentioned seems related to DID. I hope this answers your question.