How do I stop Cutting?

how do i stop cutting? i have been doing it for 4 years now. some people tell me i just do it for attention. i do it because im always angry. i have tried some other techniques but nothing works. what can i do?

A: Cutting feels so bad, it feels good. It distracts you from your anger and relieves tension. Unfortunately, it becomes a very bad habit that can even become life-threatening. You’ve been doing it for 4 years! My guess is that it is such an automatic response to stress by now that you have lost control of it.

You’ve already taken an important first step by acknowledging that it has become a problem. Now you need to get some support and practical help. Please don’t feel bad that you can’t conquer this habit on your own. Few people can. Fortunately your area has lots of therapists. Call around and see who has training in DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). It is a well documented technique that has helped countless young women like yourself get back in control of their lives and end the cutting.