Q. When I was 13 years old I was prescribed paxil to help with my depression over the lost of my father. When I was 20 I was prescribed Zoloft for depression after having my son. I am a cutter and have actually not cut myself for 3 months. I am beginning to think I am bipolar because I just want to cry most of the time and have turned to drinking to help me deal with my issues. I don’t want to have to go back and forth to see therapist again, because I really dont want my family to know, because the last time I relapsed I was hospitalize. I was wondering if there is an over the counted drug I can use to help me cope with my depression. I hate feeling the way I do and it is really starting to drive my husband away from me. I just feel as if I do not do something to control these feelings I may commit suicide. I can not bare the thought of losing my family. Please Help!!!!!!!

A. I know of no over-the-counter drugs that can help you decrease your depression. Taking medication may help you deal with your depression but it is only a small part of what is needed to help you overcome it. Medication is only part of the solution. Many people want an easy way to handle stressful and difficult life problems and medication sounds like an easy answer. But the truth is that medications rarely work alone.

You mentioned that you have turned to drinking to deal with your symptoms. This, as you recognize, is not healthy. I know you do not want to see a therapist but anything short of this will likely not work. It seems as though you are simply trying to bury what’s bothering you instead of trying to work through it. Sometime you are going to have work through your issues, if for no other reason than for the sake of your son.

Your son needs you to be well. Children learn how to manage their life difficulties by watching how his or her parents solve their problems. You can start your path to wellness by seeing a therapist, even if you do not want to. It is important for you to model for your child the right way to handle overwhelming problems. The right way to handle your current situation would be to get outside help when it is clearly necessary and not turn to drugs or alcohol to mask the problem. I wish you luck.