15 and stressing.

i am only 15 years old and have or at least make myself stress alot. there are days when i am feeling happy and the simplest thing can turn it all around.Sometimes when that happens i feel lonely, sad, depressed, and most of the time i feel like i am missing something or did something wrong, like there is something i have to do but havent done yet. this makes me feel really bad about myself and i cry alot beacause i feel like no one understands me. i dont want to tell anyone beacause i am afraid that they might think im crazy.i really really hate feeling like this. its like no one will ever understand what i go through.i beleive i stress things alot but dont know how to stop.

A: Thank you for writing. You’ve made an important first step in asking for some help. The next thing you need to do is visit your doctor. At your age, there are sometimes hormonal changes that are at the bottom of what looks like an emotional problem. This isn’t only about PMS. It may be, for example, that your thyroid isn’t doing what it should.

Your doctor will also want to look at lifestyle issues. If you aren’t getting enough sleep or if your sleep is often interrupted, you may be sleep-deprived. This makes people feel very vulnerable, tearful, or cranky. Are you eating right? Are you getting all the vitamins you need? Are you getting enough physical activity? Many kids your age find that a daily workout or a run is better than medicine for leveling off their feelings.

If you are doing everything right to take care of yourself and everything checks out physically, I hope you will consider talking with a counselor. Some kids are just more sensitive than others and need some help developing coping skills so they can manage life better. There’s no shame in being a sensitive person. But if you are just more tempermental than others, you do need to take charge of yourself to learn how to handle it better. Then you can be more comfortable and you’ll be better able to deal with other people.

I don’t think you’re crazy. I think something is wrong. Your doctor and maybe a counselor can help you sort this out.