What can I do for Postpartum depression?

I have been diagnosed with PostPartum Depression for the past few monthes, I just had a baby 4 monthes ago and I do love my children (I have 2) I can’t seem to get myself to take care of them! I never had this issue with my oldest daughter who is now 6 but after I had my baby as much as I loved her I often couldn’t take care of her, if she started crying I would start crying, I often thought about doing horrible things to my children. I am currently taking medication but I would like to find other ways of dealing with my depression that does not have to do with taking pills, i.e spiritual, mentally. Do you have any advice besides swallowing pills? I love my children and I would love nothing more to go back to being a “normal” mom. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

A: I’m so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. I’m very, very pleased to hear that you are doing your best to take care of yourself so you can be the mom you want to be. You’re right that you need more than medicine. You also need some support from people who understand what you are going through, who don’t judge you, and who can offer some practical help. Please ask your doctor if there is a postpartum support group in your area. Meanwhile, you can get good information from the Postpartum Support International website.