Suicide seems like the only way out of pain.

Recently, My girlfriend of three years decided that it was over between us. Ever since then I have been very depressed about all of it. I have thought out ways that I could end my life. I have went to the doctor and been prescribed Cymbalta but it doesn’t seem to be working. The thoughts of suicide are getting worse the more time that goes by. I thought that if I waited it out that they might go away but they just get worse and worse. Suicide just seems like the only way out of this pain that I feel. Any advice you could give me would be helpful.

A: Heartbreak is one of the most painful things we humans experience, it’s true. That’s why so many sad songs, bad poems, and tragic tales are written about it. I’m so sorry you are going through such a very hard time. Perhaps it is some comfort to know that you are not alone.

I’m also very, very worried about your suicidal thoughts. You need to go back to your doctor right away and report how you are feeling. Not every medication works the same way for everyone. It’s just possible that the medicine is making you feel worse, not better. Please work with your doctor to make sure you are getting the right medicine in the right dose for you.

You also really need to be talking out your feelings with a counselor. Depressed people tend to go over and over the same thoughts, which only makes them feel worse. A counselor can help you learn ways to cope with your feelings and find new ways to think about your situation. There is more to you than this one relationship. A counselor can help you remember that too. Ask your doctor for the name of a counselor or go to the “Find a Therapist” link on our homepage.

Meanwhile, I know there are times during the day and night when you feel especially alone and desperate. At those times, you need someone to call. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline has counselors on duty 24/7 to talk to people. 1 – 800 – 273 TALK (8255). Please contact them. You’re entitled to have the next 60 or so years to live life and find love.