What Kind of Disorder Does my Sister Have?

Q. My sister is 23 and always teased in school for being an outcast for the last 4 years she has become a nightmare to deal with she is very abusive verbally.She also lies allot about the most unimportant subjects.Whenever I try to speak to her about anything in my life it’s like she changes into another personality and starts using big words and degrading me for know reason like she is a psychologist or something.She is very selfish and she also spend every dollar she makes on expensive clothing and going out to night clubs I believe she does this so that she can pretend to be more successful then she really is and because the people that she knows out in the town dont really know who she is.She also doesn’t like talking about the past which I believe is because she was such and outcast.Any advice would be great.

A. Based on this short description, I do not have enough information to determine whether or not your sister has any type of disorder. Nothing that you wrote indicates that she suffers from a specific type of mental disorder. Many people acts in ways that may not make sense to those around them but it does not necessarily mean that there is a disorder involved.

Your sister may in fact be behaving in such a way because of how she was treated in school, as you indicated. Perhaps she developed this maladaptive way of behaving as a way to protect herself from the abuse she endured during her early years. It would be difficult for you to change your sister’s behavior. She would have to do that herself, probably with intense therapy. If her behavior continues to bother you, you could limit the time you spend with your sister. It is important for you to create some boundaries with your sister so that you are not a continuous victim of her verbal abuse.

I hope this answers your question. If you have a more specific question that you would like answered, please feel free to write again. Take care.