Help Making the Right Choice

Q. MY PROBLEM STARTED MANY YEARS AGO.I FELL OUT A WINDOW ON MY HEAD WHEN I WAS LITTLE.YEARS LATER I STARTED HAVING GRAND MAL SEIZURE’S.I FOUND THE OLDER I GOT THE LESS I HAD.I HAVE NOT HAD ONE IN MANY YEARS.

I STARTED HURTING AROUND THE AGE OF 8 OR 9.MY LEGS FIRST.THE OLDER I HAVE GOTTIN THE WORSE IT IS.NOW I GET BIG KNOTS IN MY MUSCLES.I HAVE HAD MANY BAD EXPERIANCES WITH DOCTORS.I DO NOT GO TO PUBLIC PLACES I REALLY JUST DONT LIKE PEOPLE.I HAVE FOUR CHILDREN AND I SEEM TO BE OVER PROTECTIVE BECAUSE OF MY TROUBLES THRU OUT MY LIFE.I DIDNT DO ANY BAD THINGS WHILE I CARRIED MY CHILDREN AND I DO SCREAM AND OVER REACT VERY BADLY.I WOULDNT HURT MY CHILDREN BUT OTHER PEOPLE ARE NOT SAFE SOMETIMES.

AFTER THE BIRTH OF MY LAST CHILD I WAS GIVIN A MILD PAIN PILL.I LIKED IT. NO PAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MANY MANY YEARS.BEING SO YOUNG AND NOT KNOWING WHAT WAS WRONG THE DOCTORS BECAME IRRITAED WITH ME AND SOON I WAS KICKED OUT OF MY DR OFFICE.I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED GOING TO MENTAL HEALTH AND DONT KNOW IF IT IS GOING TO WORK.AFTER GETTING KICKED OUT OF MY DR OFFICE I BECAME DISCOURAGED WITH THE MEDICAL WORLD AND FOUND IT EASIER TO SELF MEDICATE MYSELF.I DONT OVER DO IT BUT 4 OR 5 MILD PAIN RELEVERS GIVE ME SOME QUALITY OF MY LIFE BACK.

NOW I AM TRYING TO FIND A GOOD DR AND DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD BE HONST AND TELL THEM WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING.I HAD SOME BLOOD WORK DONE A FEW WEEKS AGO AND MY LIVER AND THYROID ARE OK.ANY TIPSS WOULD BE GREATLY HELPFULL.IF I HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THIS MUCH LONGER A BRIDGE LOOKS TO BE THE WAY TO END MY SUFFERING.

A. You are already on the right track. You started seeing someone who specializes in mental health and this is exactly where you need to start. Be patient with the mental health workers and try to listen to the advice they are giving you. Try not be become discouraged and do try to follow their advice. Ask them not only how you can begin helping yourself but also how you can gain access to other supports to help you through this difficult time in your life. Also, ask your mental health workers if you can also see a psychiatrist right away to evaluate whether or not medication could help you. Medication may make your day-to-day life much easier to manage and keep you stable in between therapy appointments. Medications may also make the need for your mild pain relievers less necessary.

Also consider asking friends or family members for help and support. Can your friends or family help you care for your children while you get yourself stable? Please consider asking for some outside support if there is any available. I know you are suffering tremendously right now but you need to do what you can to remain stable for the sake of your children. If you are not well it is going to be difficult for your children to be well, too.

In summary, go to your mental health workers, ask for their advice and be sure to take their advice, ask for supports from the mental health workers as well as your friends or family and consider seeing a psychiatrist right away for a medication evaluation. There is hope for you and your children and you are already on the right track when you started seeing someone from mental health. If you are feeling suicidal, call 911 immediately without hesitation. Please take care.