His son is detaching from society.

I’ve got a 22 year old son who has completed 3 years of college but for the past two years has continued to withdraw from friends, family, and society. He’s considering dropping out of college and spends an inordinate amount of time researching conspiracy theories. Displays much anger and high anxiety over simple life matters. Is now regressing in driving habits, aggressively driving like a reckless teenager. Extremely disruptive in the household, and now even his two brothers would like to see him move out.

Any guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

A: It sounds to me like your son is in serious psychological trouble. You must be asking yourself, “Who is this kid and where is my son?” The behavior you describe is consistent with the symptoms of major depression. The fascination with conspiracy theories and the aggression may mean that a more serious mental illness is emerging as well. Take his car keys before he hurts himself or someone else. And take him to a psychologist or psychiatrist for an evaluation. Tell the doctor what you have told me. Hopefully, some medication coupled with some talk therapy will help your son get back to his normal self.