19 years old and depressed

Q. I’m 19 years old, and for the last few years I found I am unable of being happy. I’m very emotional and sometimes I feel I am going crazy. I always feel completely alone and have even self harmed. Me and my boyfriend are having troubles and I feel so unloved. Could I have depression? I’m so scared of what my future holds as I feel I will never be happy. A lot of the time I wish I wasn’t alive which also scares me. My life is just hurting me too much. A lot of my problems are my boyfriend but at the same time he can help by just being there. What can I do?

A. Since you recognize that you are not emotionally stable, the wisest move that you could make is to seek out a therapist. You certainly could be experiencing depression, especially because you are having suicidal thoughts. The good news is that there are effective treatments for depression. Your job is to find a therapist who you feel comfortable with. Once you do this, with some time and effort, you may be able to have a much happier life. Never hesitate to get the help you need, you deserve and that is available.