Q: I’m having panic attacks and I freak out when my mom goes away on trips. I’m not too bad during the day but when night comes I feel like I’m going to freak out. I start to shake and have trouble sleeping. I find myself staying up late and trying to make myself tired just so I can sleep. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please help. What should I do?

A: I’d say you need to find out what is wrong, ie: what are you afraid of. At the age of 25 you should be ok with being away from your mother. However, if you have never lived on your own I can understand why it may seem frightening when she leaves. It’s like when someone moves into a new place and they suddenly feel scared and listen to every noise because it is different and new. As humans we translate change into to fear many times. If you are truly having panic attacks I would suggest finding a therapist to help you learn strategies to overcome these. I also highly recommend the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It’s packed with helpful information. I wish you luck.