Q. Stuck in physical pain: After many years of being treated for various physical complaints. Abdominal pain, back pain, joint pain, acid reflux, UTI’s I have been diagnosed with undifferentiated somatoform disorder. The last doctor came to this conclusion after examining an extensive medical history and doing a CT scan and endoscopy among other tests. I have been in psychotherapy for a year and have also been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and was sexually abused as a child. None of my doctors seem to know exactly what to do and my pain continues. I am extremely frustrated and depressed and do not know where else to turn. Any advice or any information you know about this disorder would be really helpful.

A. Perhaps you can try other forms of healing such as hypnosis, yoga, acupuncture, and so forth. I am not sure precisely how effective the latter treatments are, but I do know that hypnosis is one method that has been proven to help reduce pain for some people. Sorry to hear about your pain. I hope this helps.