Psych Central

5 and 6 year olds are having outbursts.

My 6 year old has just started with outburst, trying to kick, hit, bite, anything possible, this has only been for a week now but we have had 4 3 so far. I am unsure of what to do, he is usually the passive child and easy going, the one everyone points out as sweet. SO when this happens it really throws me for a loop. The first time was in the dr. waiting area. I had to hold him so he would stop hitting me and throwing books in this crowded room so he then bit me and kept on biting. Both of my arms are still bruised and sore. All I could do was keep him from hurting himself and me or his 5 year old brother. Both have ADHD as well as me, they are on Adderal 7.5 2 times a day, Because of this out burst, he is now on Clodine .1mg 1/2 3 times a day. But my 5 year old is as started showing the moody sensitive side, crying easily, this last two weeks also. SO I don’t know if it is the Medication or the Adderal. My dr really tries but somethimes I feel he is clueless. What should I do about both.
Thanks

A: Please take these children for a consultation with a qualified child psychiatrist . You may be right that your doctor is over his head. Although many pediatricians have done a great job learning about psychiatric medications, the fact is that it is not their specialty. When a sweet child turns into a biting, out of control, monster, something is seriously wrong. The medications he is taking sometimes have unexpected and serious negative effects. You need a consultation with someone who specializes in kids and ADHD. Please don’t wait on this. Medically, the medicine may be hurting him. Psychologically, your son probably feels very scared that he couldn’t control himself and did things that hurt his mom.