My Eating Issues Have Returned: What Should I Do?

Q. I feel like my eating issues are coming back. I am 5’9 and 145 lbs. Around last year this time I had some eating issues and was on a very strict diet of about 800 cals and lost over 20lbs and exercised excessively (7days a week 2-3 hrs a day) then everyone (families/friends) started noticing and all made me eat then eventually i was over it but now i feel like im becoming who i was and restricting and exercising i feel like im about to start the same pattern as before i dont mind restricting myself i just dont want people to find out what do i do ?

A. I am unclear about the question you are asking me. If I am reading your question correctly, it seems that you are asking me to advise you on how to hide your unhealthy eating behaviors from your friends and family. If this is indeed the question you are asking, you may not like the advice that I am offering you. If in fact these unhealthy eating behaviors have returned, then your friends and family would have justifiable concerns about you, as would I and any another other qualified mental health professional. The way in which you are restricting, dieting and exercising is extremely dangerous and signifies psychological problems and a possible eating disorder.

If I misread your question and you really are asking me what to do about the return of these destructive eating behaviors, then I do have an answer for you. My answer to this question would be to seek help from a professional who has specialized knowledge and skills in helping individuals with eating disorders. I, of course, cannot diagnose you over the Internet from a short e-mail. You may or may not officially have an eating disorder. The reason why I suspect an eating disorder is that in your letter you do describe behaviors and thoughts that are indicative of someone suffering from one of several eating disorders. Only a professional who interviews you in person, would know for sure if you did have an eating disorder. That is why I am suggesting that if you are experiencing a return of the symptoms that you have described above, my advice is to seek out professional help. I hope this answers your question.