Psych Central

I took your online quiz and i scored a 28. My sister is 23 and has OCD they believe I am just making it up or that she has put this information into my head. But I argue otherwise, I read the overveiw of OCD and I believe I have the thinking side of it. My sister and I are very close but it all started when I was telling her how I was feeling, I didn’t even know that she had it. I don’t know what to do because I feel like I need some help sometimes, but I am only 15 so I can’t get the help I need sometimes. This has caused me some trouble, so what should I do?

A: It may be that you have OCD if your sister also has it. There is some evidence that it runs in family. Whether you need help is a matter of degree. Lots of people have “quirks” that look obsessive/compulsive. There are athletes who always wear the same socks to games for good luck. Lots of students have to clean their desks before they can begin a big paper. Sometimes people “obsess” over a new relationship or about something they wish they had done differently. A harmless ritual or over-thinking something becomes a disorder when it gets in the way of functioning.
OCD that involves repetitive thoughts is like a hiccup in the brain. The same thoughts go on over and over and over and over, making it hard to think about anything else or to concentrate. If thinking certain thoughts is so repetitive and distracting that you can’t pay attention in school or can’t really listen to what someone else is trying to tell you, it has become a problem. If you simply can’t make the thoughts go away or “turn them down” enough to function, then it’s time to look for some help.
My guess is that your parents don’t understand because they can’t see the problem. The thoughts are happening inside of your mind and you have been able to function well enough in spite of them that it’s not apparent to others that you are struggling with something. Go to your local bookstore and find some books on OCD that explain what it’s like to be in your head. Perhaps if you show your folks what these authors describe, it will help you get your point across. You could also ask your doctor to help explain OCD to you and your folks.