Depression/ Anxiety/ Suicide

Q. Lately, I have been having a very difficult time dealing with my emotions. I have felt lost, stopped eating, become concerned with my weight, lost seven pounds in about 2 weeks, felt completely alone, and gotten no help from my parents or friends. I drink on a regular basis and feel that I cannot sleep or cannot feel better without it. I have missed class very often this semester because I cannot find the will to get myself out of bed in the morning. I started cutting again tonight because I felt suicidal. I don’t want to die, I just want to make these feelings go away. I’ve been to a mental health center at a local hospital and it didn’t help me, it was too easy for me to con my way out. I feel completely alone. I told my mom I was depressed and she said, “It’s just that time of year. Everyone gets depressed around this time of year.” I have no one to go to and no one to talk to. I don’t want to seek help because of what it will mean, because of what kinds of different meds they will put me on again, and because of what my mom will think. I am so lost.

A. I know that you do not want to get help but it is the only solution that will effectively deal with what you have been experiencing. I am sure that you have heard this same sentiment over and over and but it is the truth. Cutting is extremely dangerous and never the answer. Lying to the mental health professionals only prolongs your suffering and thinking that others would be angry with you for making the smart and correct decision to seek treatment are both currently serving as barriers to you getting help. I know getting the help that you need is easier said then done but it would be in your best interest to seek help immediately. It is so very foolish to attempt to deal with this problem on your own. There are people who are skilled and very happy to help you with this problem. Allow this to happen. You only need to ask. Take care.