Q. Is it possible to be overweight and have an eating disorder? About 2 years ago i was caring for my nan and trying to hold down a job and college I didn’t mind looking after her we got really close like best friends although Christmas last year my nan died and i found her and had to try to revive her even though i knew she was dead. but since then i keep hurting myself and every time I eat I have to be sick. I know i shouldn’t but the thought of it sitting at the bottom of my tummy its horrible. Obviously my parents ask about the cuts on my arms but I always tell them the children done them at work by accident. I’ve tried asking my mum about depression but she just tells me i haven’t got it and just leaves it at that. What do you think i should do? Go see the doctor or am i just being silly?

A. I am glad that you wrote because it indicates that you feel that something is not right with you. You are not being silly for thinking that you need help from a trained professional. In fact, it is perceptive of you. You should definitely make an appointment to see a doctor, therapist or psychologist. What you have described to me, feeling depressed, cutting yourself, and making yourself throw up, are all signs that something is wrong. It sounds like you are depressed, and justifiably so after finding that your nan, your best friend, had passed away. Losing someone that you love is never easy and many people need help and support to come to grips with their loss.

The throwing up after eating and cutting are abnormal, very self destructive, harmful and dangerous to you physically and to you spiritually. The best advice I can give you is to seek out help so that you can find alternative ways to handle life issues. What you are doing now is damaging, unproductive and unhelpful. Also, I am sorry to hear that your mother disagrees and does not think you are depressed but it may be that she is not sure how to best help you with your depression. It is also possible that she just does not see it. Whatever the case, the fact that she is not of any help to you in this matter is all the more reason for you to seek outside help for what you have been experiencing. Please seek the help and remember that you are not being silly in the least. Being silly and downright unhealthy would be to disregard your mental health, and not seek the treatment for your self destructive behaviors and depression. Take care