Could I have Bipolar Disorder?

By Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Q: I have recently found out that there is bipolar in my family.
For the last 4 years I have had nothing but problems I have been telling my doctor that its something more wrong then. When I told him of my recent findings his reply was don’t worry you don’t have that mood disorder, you’re just suffering from a mild form of depression with a little stress. But I know it’s more than that. I can go 3-4 days without sleep. My mind just races around and around with thoughts. Yet other days I am so tired I can’t get out of bed. Some days I wake up on top of the world feeling really happy and thinking that I am a very very special person. When I go out I am the party animal the one person everyone thinks is funny. Other times I am in tears thinking how worthless I am. I have tried to commit suicide 3 times thinking it was for the best. Other times I just lose my temper other something so stupid. Other times I can’t stop talking I just go on and on. Do you think that I may have bipolar? How do I get my doctor to believe me or help me?

A: First of all I think you need to get a second opinion – and don’t waste any time in doing it. You are describing some classic symptoms of Bipolar Disorder but you need a thorough evaluation from a psychologist/mental health counselor and/or a psychiatrist for an actual diagnosis. The part that worries me the most is that you have attempted suicide more than once. I’m wondering if you told your doctor this? If you are still feeling suicidal or begin to again, you need to go check yourself into a hospital so you can be safe. If you are not taking medication, you may need to be evaluated for this as well. Please keep trying to get the help you need. If no one seems to be listening, find someone who does. Good luck.