Bulimia.

By Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Q: I have been diagnosed with Anorexia-Bulimia. I have been experimenting with this for years but only once and a while. Within the past 3 months or so, I have been purging almost everyday, even though I haven’t been binging. I guess you can say I even induce vomit to get rid of diet food. And after every vomiting session, I weigh myself. I would like to stop, but I feel guilty just thinking of food. I feel like I need more help than I am getting, but I can’t even help myself.

A: If you are not already in therapy then you need to be. If you are in therapy and feel that you are not making progress with this condition, then I suggest that you find another therapist. Make sure you go to someone who specializes in eating disorders. If you are still having probems then I would suggest you investigate inpatient facilities that specialize in eating disorders. There are several of these around the country that have saved people’s lives. I know this sounds frightening but there are caring professionals who work at these places. Please get help and make sure you get the “right” help for your specific issues. If you haven’t already, it is also helpful to educate yourself through self-help books and workbooks so you have tools to work on on your own time. I wish you good luck and health.