Reinitiating schizophrenia therapy

Q. A friend of mine has schizophrenia and stopped taking her medications. She has recently been started back on them, but wonders if they are going to work as well now. Is treatment that is reinitiated less efficacious?

A. I do not think that the medications would be any less effective but it may take a while for her to feel the full impact of the medications again. She should be seeing a doctor just to be sure everything is going smoothly. I am glad that your friend is back on the medications and you should encourage her to stay on them. For schizophrenia, a stable and consistent medication regime is really the only and best mechanism for preventing illness relapse. Take care.