Regular sickness.

By Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Q: I take Prozac for my nerves, if I get worried I am always sick, however, recently the sickness has become more frequent, in particular after meals. I am constantly worrying about my weight (I am 5ft 2) and weigh 10st 10 although I have lost a stone and half in the past few months, and love it. My meals are child like servings which I enjoy, but if I try to eat more I suffer with indigestion and don’t feel better until I have been sick then I am ok. If I have a big dinner then I will not eat again for the rest of the day convinced that if I do eat I will be sick. Could I have bulimia and not know it?

A: This situation is very difficult to assess without having further information. However, based on what you have said, it sounds to me that you may have a medical condition. There are many illnesses and conditions that have gastro-intestinal symptoms. It could be that your anxiety is causing the symptoms or it could be that the symptoms are causing the anxiety and worry. I cannot diagnose without a thorough interview, however, I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with a medical doctor and get a thorough evaluation. Tell the doctor everything you can about what you experience, including your fear and worry and go from there. You may also want to see a therapist or counselor to address some of your concerns. I hope you feel better soon.