Q: I know that I’m depressed and I know I need to tell somebody but I’m finding it really difficult. I’ve been depressed for about 2-3 months
and I know that I need to get help. I’ve started cutting myself and hurting myself. And I haven’t been eating like I should be either. I’ve been going through a lot lately. My dad died over in Iraq a year ago and that’s been really hard. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I feel like I’m to far gone to get help and in a way I don’t want help but I don’t want to continue doing what I’m doing and I know that I have to get help.

A: I am so sorry about your father. Losing a parent at a young age is very, very difficult. It is normal that you would be depressed, but you do not need to be hurting yourself. There are so many healthy ways to deal with loss and other serious problems. It is definitely time to ask for help. Hurting yourself and not eating are two very serious signs that you need help. I suggest just asking your mom to help you find a good therapist. Tell her how much pain you are in and that you want some professional help. If she says, “we can handle things on our own,” don’t let that be the end of it. Keep asking for help until you get it. You may also want to talk with your school counselor or doctor to help you find a good therapist. They may have someone they recommend for someone your age going through what you are going through. Since your dad was killed while serving his country, the military base near you or the VA most likely has groups and therapists that are available to you as well. Just please reach out and start talking about what you are going through. It is important to talk about your feelings to others rather than just trying to handle things on your own. I wish you the best of luck and my heart goes out to you and all the other families who have lost loved ones in this war. Good luck and hang in there.